Please note that, at time of recording face masks were not mandatory. However currently we are wearing facial coverings in school and observing correct social distancing.
Questions you might have about your new school
Where do I go on my first day?
What times are my lessons?
You will have 5 one-hour lessons a day.
Form time will start at 8:40 until 9:00.
You will then have Period 1 which will be 9:00- 10:00.
Period 2 will be 10:00 – 11:00
Then there will be a 15 minute break till 11:15
Period 3 will be 11:15 – 12:15
Period 4 will be 12:15 – 1:15.
Dinnertime will be for half an hour and it will be 1:15 – 1:45
Period 5 will be 1:45 -2:45 and then it is the end of the day.
What time should I arrive at school in the morning?
What if I get lost?
No need to worry about getting lost, you won’t really be lost, but at some point you may be unsure where your classroom is: you don’t need to panic.
All our teachers and pupils are really helpful, all you need to do is ask and someone will point you in the right direction or often, walk you to lesson.
Most of our building is in a square shape across two floors with a one-way system, and all the classroom doors are clearly labelled. You will additionally have a tour of the school and be provided with a map on your first day. By October, you will be brilliant at knowing your way around. Trust us!
Who do I go to if I need help?
How much homework will I get?
To make sure you keep on top of your homework, you will be given a school planner where you can write everything down and the date it is due in. It is best to do your homework the night you get it, then you know it has been completed and you won’t forget to do it.
Reading is a key expectation of homework so we hope you are already making a start of this whilst learning from home
What happens if I am late to lesson?
Where can I find information about school busus?
There is a page on our main school website which contains all the latest bus timetables as well as information about the IGO pass. Below is a link to the Transport To and From School page.
Can I bring my mobile phone into school?
You are allowed to bring phones to school, however you do so at your own risk and they must be switched off in your bag. You are not allowed to have them out during lesson time unless at teacher has allowed it in a lesson. Mobile phones must not be used at any point whilst on the school site. If a student is seen with their phone out, it will be confiscated as per our Mobile Phones Policy Procedure.
Are there any after school clubs I can get involved in?
What are the options for lunches?
We offer a choice of hot and cold lunches. There is a page on our main school website which contains the school lunch menus for the next three weeks. This page is updated regularly so please check it to find out what the lunch options are that week.
Your parents or carers will put money on your account and keep it topped up. Parents/carers – here’s a link to our online payment page
You pay for your lunch using a biometric fingerprint scanner. Each time you pay, money will be deducted from your account, so it is important that your account is topped up regularly.
A Week at Tottington High
To help you settle into your new school, it’s good to know at what times of the day you will have lessons, break and lunchtime. Here’s what the school day looks like and there’s an example of a Year 7 timetable too.
School day and lesson times
You will have five lessons every day, each lesson is an hour long. Two lessons before break, two lessons after break and one lesson after lunchtime. The start and end times of form time, lessons, break and lunch are shown below.
- Black school blazer with school logo as shown. This can only be purchased from our stockists.
- A white school shirt which buttons to the neck. Revere collar shirts or shirts without a top button are not permitted.
- School tie with school logo and relevant year group stripe. This can only be purchased from our stockists.
- Plain, v-neck jumper with school logo. This can only be purchased from our stockists. This item is optional. (Please note: no other black jumpers/hoodies/jackets/sweatshirts are permitted).
- Plain, black school trousers with a suit cut style. No jean-style, skinny or casual trousers/leggings are permitted.
- THS pleated, check knee length skirt with school logo situated on waist band. The school logo must be visible to ensure that the length is appropriate.
- Plain, black school shoes. No trainers/trainer style; no pumps/pump style shoe; no logos or silver lace threads; no boots or over the ankle shoes; no heels; no steel toe caps.
- Black or charcoal grey ankle socks. Girls may wear plain black tights in an opaque (non-see-through) style. No coloured, patterned, white or bright socks. No knee length socks. No ankle socks and tights worn together.
- Dark suitable outdoor coat (no hoodies).
- No unnatural hair styles or fashions. Only hair colours which are natural are allowed (no bright reds or other vibrant colours, no dip dye). No sculpted haircuts, including patterns, are allowed and hair length must be at least a Grade 2. Students must not shave their eyebrows.
- Only plain ear studs are allowed – one in each ear lobe.
- Facial/body piercings, rings, necklaces and bracelets are not permitted.
- False nails and false eyelashes must not be worn.
Your parents or carers will order your PE kit for you and it will be delivered to school at the start of term. It is really important that you bring your PE kit to school every time you have a PE lesson.
All sports clothing MUST be PERMANENTLY LABELLED. PE kit can be obtained from Sk Kits (click here to visit the SK Kits website).
- Red T-shirt
- Black shorts
- Red football socks
- Shin pads
- Football boots will be required at some time during the year.
Optional Sweatshirt is available to order from the PE department.
Finding your way around
It can be difficult to find your way around a new environment. Here is a site map of Tottington High School to help.
Please contact the Head of Year 7 if you have any questions or concerns